Whenever my husband and I dine out at one of our favorite restaurants, there always seems to be a wonderful cream-of- (fill in the blank) soup that makes my mouth water. And if you’re like me, you can’t have dairy based soups. Well, if you’re still having that cream of soup craving, I have the perfect non-dairy solution for you– red potatoes. Red potatoes are wonderfully waxy and when blended with skin on, give a thick and creamy base consistency, perfect for your favorite cream-of-(whatever you want) soup.
In this case I was craving mushroom soup, but a nice corn, carrot, celery or pea could work well too with red potatoes, just do a bit of experimenting.
You can use any kind of mushroom you like. I love the thick steak-like texture of portobellos, and had some Baby Bellas on hand. Did you know mushrooms are actually one of the few foods that contain vitamin D? They need to be exposed to the sun or UV light. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamin C, niacin, B-6, copper and selenium. They also have protective immune system properties, and a study in 2009 showed eating mushrooms daily reduced the chance of developing breast cancer in women by 45%. I love the way they taste sauteed.
This recipe is also gluten-free, soy-free and vegan. Choose the organic vegetable broth instead of organic chicken stock to make it vegan.
Shall we get started, it’s really easy, you can do this.
Boil 10 medium to large red potatoes, (20 if small) for 20 minutes, add non-dairy spread and mash.
While potatoes are cooking, saute mushrooms in a dutch oven with non-dairy spread, such as Earth Balance (organic, soy-free)
Add mashed or whole red potatoes & non-dairy spread, water and stock to the mushrooms and blend with immersible hand blender.
Add additional water to make soup consistency you like best. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or let it simmer for a bit to thicken. This soup is great warmed up later as well.
Enjoy, and let me know what you think.
- 10-20 Red Potatoes
- 2 Cups of Mushrooms (I used Baby Bella portobello)
- ⅓ Cup & 1TBS dairy-free, soy-free organic spread, (Earth Balance, Spectrum)
- 2 Cups of Chicken stock or Vegetable stock
- 2-3 Cups of water, depending on your preference
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil washed and scrubbed red potatoes with skin on until tender. (about 20 min.) Drain most of the water out leaving about ½ cup of water, add non-dairy spread and mash.
- In separate dutch oven, saute mushrooms in a tablespoon of Earth Balance or olive oil (7 min)
- Add the mashed red potatoes into the mushrooms and add stock, salt and pepper.
- Blend with immersible hand blender until smooth.